Fishtail Cottage's Christmas 2016... #8

Most of you are probably like our family and that you entertain the most in your kitchens?  It is always the most comfortable gathering place in our home, so having just the right amount of Christmas Decorations is hard to figure out - how much is too much? Or not enough?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've thinned out much of the holiday decor to simplify what is displayed in our home.  However, I have brought in a few new items ~ three of which are these pre-lit flocked alpine trees that are tucked in the corner of the dining area. These trees are tall and very thin and don't take up very much room ~ I switched out a tall wood pillar that usually stands in that corner of the room. Definitely an addition to our Christmas decor that our entire family is enjoying.


Instead of filling my wood hutch full of decor and color, I've added a very small amount of holiday pieces to display, this is probably my favorite - As long as I can remember, I've always dreamt of owning a white convertible Volkswagen bug (1960's), so when I found this cute little toy car this summer - i brought it home so that I could create this little dreamy combination!

Years ago, my mom gave me these two authentic candles that she used to display at Christmastime ~ I love this "Santa" and "Frosty" and enjoy having them as another special Christmas keepsake displayed on my hutch.

On the center island of our kitchen, I have a two teared tray adorned with pinecones, deer antlers, poinsettia's, vintage glass ornaments and candles - it is just the right amount of Christmas decorations in the kitchen, and doesn't get in the way when we are entertaining.

Another keepsake my mom gave me years ago, was an old Santa mug. My sister and I each had one and I remember hot cocoa moments at the kitchen table with them.  I have since picked up several more similar Santa mugs to display around my home ~ they all look so cute piled onto the coffee stand where our coffee bar is. I recently found that Pottery Barn sells these mugs and couldn't help but to purchase four more so that my children and granddaughter can actually use them, I don't want to be a parent and grandma that only has things to look at and not touch!

I've never owned a snow globe before now, and love this pretty little white one that I found ~ my granddaughter loves winding up music box's and listening to them, so when I heard this snow globe playing "Silent Night" ~ I thought she would love having one here at "Nama's house".  Having it displayed in the kitchen next to her dining chair, gave us an opportunity to play the music and talk about how special Baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph is. She is only 21 months, but understands how precious and delicate Christmastime is.  The salvaged white box behind the snow globe is holding my advent calendar tags...to see a post about my advent calendar i made, click here.

 I am really enjoying getting back to blogging and sharing my home with you! I hope you too are enjoying the Christmas season. xoox, tracie




Comments

Sherry Caldwell said…
Your home looks lovely, Tracie of Fishtail Cottage! And here, too, in Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Grandson, Sam, will come by tomorrow with his parents for lobster and Christmas weekend following...and then on Boxing Day, we open up to some former neighbours hosting them at a festive brunch. I enjoy your postings and photos very much. My house is a new Craftsman cottage and I'm "fishing" around for it's name! Considering, Chickadee or Boxwood Cottage.
acorn hollow said…
Your home looks cozy and ready for family.
Merry Christmas.
Cathy
Lol! I have the same Santa and Frosty candles and Santa mugs!! We decorated with those candles each Christmas as Mom never burned them. I mother-in-law does burn them and buys new each year. I was so surprised when I saw them burning the first time. It was almost sacrilegious!! My old candles are faded and a bit nicked but I just love them. Thanks for sharing yours! Zenda
krishna said…
Beautiful pictures... It's my desire to spend at least one Christmas in a small warm cozy decorated cottage amid snow covered mountain.. :)

Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

Popular Posts